[Harp-L] Re: Virtuosity

>>I think you have to set the bar very high for virtuoso status.   IMO a
>>virtuoso attains that
>> status via the universal acknowledgment of his musical peers and also of
>> the general public that
>> he is at least the best alive and possibly the best ever.  If there's
>> significant debate on the
>> subject, then he doesn't qualify.

>Your bar is pretty high too. I like your definition except some exceptional
>artists remain unknow. Although if you're the best alive you should be know
>by a good many. Also your definition may alow someone like Eminem to be
>called a virtuoso, I think a lot of people would have a problem with that.
>Then what about Little Walter? Stevie Ray Vaughan? Can virtuoso's be by
>style or instrument or can you only certain styles of music have virtuosos?
>Are rappers and blues enthousiasts allowed to have virtuosos? You suggested
>the "best alive and possibly the best ever", that also might fit Eminem (I
>don't know rappers much).

>Perhaps your definition just needs to be refined a bit to exclude unwanted
>artists i.e. at least rappers ;-). I guess were trying to set firm
>boundaries on a idea.

>Pierre.

I don't think we need to worry about rappers and Eminem since my definition demands the universal
acknowledgment of his "musical peers".  By "peers" I don't mean only people who play the same
instrument or the same style of music. So I don't think there's any danger of musicians across the
board universally acclaiming Eminem as being a virtuoso.

Let me give you an example of a TRUE virtuoso by my definition:

In the late 1940's and early 1950's Charlie Parker was universally recognized by his musical peers
to be the greatest alto player alive.   This acclaim was demonstrated by the fact that when
Charlie Parker sat in with some of the top jazz bands of his time,
the band's regular soloists - on every instrument - ceded their solo spots to Bird out of
deference and reverence for his awesome talent.

For recorded examples of this phenomenon listen to "Bird with the Herd" (Charlie Parker sitting in
with the Woody Herman Band)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005OFH/qid=1098290056/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/102-8954422-4348956?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

or "The Washington Concerts" (Bird sitting in with "The
Orchestra")http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005AQCH/qid=1098290263/sr=1-54/ref=sr_1_54/102-8954422-4348956?v=glance&s=music

A virtuoso stands head and shoulders above his peers like that.

But a true virtuoso also generates reverent passion among non-musicians.  That's why I don't
believe in the "unknown" virtuoso.   If someone is a true virtuoso, the world will soon find out
about him via word of mouth.