Re: [Harp-L] Others borrowing from us (was tidbits)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mojo Red" <harplicks@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Robert McGraw" <r_mcgraw@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 9:40 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Others borrowing from us (was tidbits)

--- Robert McGraw <r_mcgraw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
...anybody else got info about other instruments
borrowing from harmonica?
WVa Bob

Hey Bob,

I don't know about other 'known' players doing
this, but the guitarist in my old band, Jimmy
Seville (now in San Diego) used to cop my licks
right and left. He loves the harp and would tailor
his licks around my playing. We'd often do
call-and-response and play in tandem.

He told me he often tries to play his guitar "as if
it were a harp," just because he likes the sound of
it so much. I miss that guy.

Would be inneresting to hear other stories like
this.

Harpin' in Colorado,
-Ken M.

Hi,
Some years back, I had a conversation about different musical influences with my friend Sax Gordon and while we were talking about not only styles, but musicians as well as instruments, he told me that he took a lot of stuff from harmonica players. Now Gordon is a monster sax player, and I told him, with a chuckle, that's coming full circle because harp players, most notably LW, took a lot of stuff from sax players. If one listens to the guitar playing of Albert King, a number of his phrasings sound easily as if they could very well been played on harmonica, and he had said one of his important influences was Sonny Boy Williamson. It goes to show you that many of the "heroes" of a wide variety of instruments listened to far more than just people playing the same instrument that they do. This is the very reason why I ALWAYS tell other harp players to don't just listen to harp players exclusively because of reasons like these, or they just wind up running in place with nowhere to go. Now when you hear that someone like a Sax Gordon took tons of stuff from harp players much as did LW did from horns, if the bell doesn't ring in your head to wake you up, nothing will. Too many harp players tend to freak out when there's a horn on the bandstand, whereas if anything, they should embrace it, and learn from them because it will do them a ton of good.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com