RE: [Harp-L] Jam band harpmen

You're gonna play the way you play and trying to mask your influences
and styles is fruitless.  Just be you.  Try to vary your sound. When
I play out I have a few different set ups.  I'll use my Sennheiser
441U for the more mellow acoustic sounding stuff. I also have a
finger type mic that I run through a bunch of effects and I have a
fender amp with with either a bullet or sm57.

Try to separate your influences.  If I'm playing a jazz tune then I
play jazz lines, if I'm playing blues then I sound like a blues
harmonica player.  Last night I did two Jimmy Reed style 1st
positions tunes - the song called for it so I did it.  If the next
song happened to be a french musette then I play like an accordian
player...

If you're playing blues then play your heart out. If you're playing
jazz, use your head but drive with your soul. Understand the secrets
of your influences and  the music you are playing.

If you're doing the jam band thing then you need to understand the
music.  To me, jam bands are about setting up a trance. Be rhytmic
and create motifs then play variations of that.  It doesn't have to
be complicated stuff.  Be predictable and not weird.  The beauty of
the jam band thing is its mezmerizing quality.  If you start playing
stuff that is inappropriate you'll break the spell on you audience
and lose their attention.