[Harp-L] Re-introduction + Announcing a New Project
Amy Rister
amyristermusic@xxxxx
Sat Sep 19 13:54:28 EDT 2026
Hey, everybody. Long time, no see. I haven't done anything in the forum for a very long time to work on my mental health, but I want to be active in the community again. In case if we haven't met before (since there might be new people joining every day), my name's Amy and I'm a 24-year-old harmonica player based in Northern Ohio. Where I'm currently at as a musician is that I'm currently gigging with a variety cover band known as The Leftovers, I have 275+ YouTube subscribers, 160+ followers on Instagram, I left TikTok (I had a decently sized fan base, but I left in May 2025 due to a massive online harassment campaign), and I officially started work on a solo music project with the current code name of "Harmonica From the Milky Way".
The inspiration for this came about because I knew that I didn't fit in with the expectations of what is considered to be the route of a "normal" harmonica player, playing the blues like Little Walter and only that. Despite what some people would like you to believe, I actually didn't grow up listening to the blues and I still don't listen to it often. I found out about the harmonica from the 90s Country songs I grew up with and wanted to emulate the soulful, "vocal-like" sound I heard from my favorite harmonica player, Terry McMillan, long before I started learning how to play it seriously. I felt like I had this sort of deep spiritual connection to the more emotional side to the instrument and I often play with that concept in my own style.
I also listen to other genres like rock, metal, and some electronic music like lo-fi. Nonetheless, good music is just good music to me. So being constantly told that I had to change everything about my sound in order to be considered by traditionalists as "successful" just didn't sit right with me. To keep my sanity at bay and after listening to an old Norton Buffalo interview with him mentioning that he didn't want to be pigeonholed into a single genre in order to be as creative as possible, I stopped putting a label on my style. I was no longer bound to a single type of music, I'm now "just a harmonica player". So the "Harmonica from the Milky Way" project is an experimental album that mixes the music I enjoy listening to and a more retro/lo-fi inspired production style. I don't expect it to be successful as it is a one-man project, but hey. You'll never know.
Now some of y'all might be wondering, "why did you choose an outer space concept for the title and your epithet as a harmonica player?" It's not only due to my other lifelong interest in astronomy, but also because I view the whole medium of music as a big universe with multiple galaxies within it. When most settle with just one genre, I just hop from one style to another like an alien traveling in a UFO. The "cosmic" part is actually from how I view the harmonica's musical potential as limitless like outer space. I hope y'all can support the release if you can.
Sincerely,
Amy Rister, cosmic harmonica player (any/all)
https://linktr.ee/amyristerharmonica
More information about the Harp-L
mailing list