[Harp-L] Protrude through?

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Sat Jul 20 20:26:15 EDT 2024

> On Jul 20, 2024, at 7:15 AM, John Thaden <jjthaden at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> I came across a nice website and on it a blog page on how harmonicas work. https://www.themusicstand.ca/blogs/htp-harmonica/work
> Refreshing to see so much right information.
> But must a reed, played in usual manner as a closing reed, actually protrude through the other side of the reed plate in order to sound? Pretty sure not, though I've actually not done the experiment (really thick plate). I do know of custom and high end harps with thicker plates.
> Thanks,-John

That is not what the blog says.  It says "When the reed emerges from its slot on either side of the reed plate the area through which the air stream can pass opens up.”  The key words here are "on either side” .  Thus the reed need not exit the slot on the back slide.  As do you, I find the blog refreshingly correct.

Even if the reed does not actually enter the slot, the changes in the orifice area may be enough to cause vibration and produce sound.

It goes on to state that the comb plays no important part in producing the sound.  It cites the plucking experiment  to verify this.  This all supports our contention that the sound of a harmonica is unaffected by comb material.

Vern