[Harp-L] player passing

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Sat Feb 24 11:18:12 EST 2024

  Sorry to report the passing of blues harpist Jack "Applejack" Walroth
recently. Jack, along with guys like Paul Butterfield, Charlie Musselwhite
and Corky Siegel, was in that first wave of young white harmonica players
to hit the blues clubs on Chicago's Southside and learn the music. In the
mid 70's, he moved to California and eventually recorded with Elvin Bishop
and Boz Scaggs. He's also featured on my favorite Sam Lay album, "Sam Lay
in Bluesland". I believe one of our list members, sax/harpist Michael
Peloquin, also did some playing with "Apple", at the weekly jam Jack hosted.
   On a personal note, I wound up following Jack into the local band he was
playing with before he left Illinois. There were quite a few unison riffs
with the alto sax and guitar I remember struggling with and wondering how
he managed to make them sound so effortless. RIP Applejack.

Mick Zaklan