[Harp-L] Squeal Killer anti-feedback pedal

r_buschner@xxxxx r_buschner@xxxxx
Mon Sep 11 12:47:02 EDT 2023

This and low gain in combination.
Additional advantage: With high gain amps we all know that the volume pot is to
“handle with care” – and is reduced to a small useable range.
In a low gain setup the useable range increases and the pot isn’t so difficult to
adjust between too low volume and way too much feedback.

We used these principles in the Harper Amps Alligator, 1 x 12AX7 (which can replaced
by a 12AT7 or even 12AU7) in the pre scection, 1x 12AT7 as phase inverter, 4x EL84 similar
to VOX AC30 driving 6x 8” Jensen ceramics.

The 12AX7 in the preamp is a concession to guitar players, I (as a harp only player) use it
with the 12AT7 in both stages. Way more ooomph than needed. On stage, close to the amp
it sounds pretty harmless, the full sound builds up some meters out, similar to Bassman and such.

http://harper.amplifier.ch/?project=the-alligator-30w-harp-amplifier-6-x-8%e2%80%b3

From: John Thaden
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2023 6:26 PM
To: r_buschner at xxxxx ; harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Squeal Killer anti-feedback pedal

So is it as simple as "use big speakers"?

  On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:23 AM, r_buschner at xxxxx
  <r_buschner at xxxxx> wrote:
  The ticket to feedback or not feedback is open loop gain.
  With an amp/speaker setup, you want to move air. Much air.
  This can be done by higher gain forcing low speaker membrane
  surface area with more amplitude, or with lower gain forcing a
  big surface area with lower amplitude. The first one is more
  sensitive to feedback, because a small change at the input leads
  to a big (to big) change at the output, reacting like a warm coke.
  Keep over all gain low and there you go with high volume of moved
  air (high volume) and low sensitivity to feedback.

  Seeya,
  Ralf