[Harp-L] New article on Charlie McCoy and artistic research

Mikael Bäckman mikael.backman@xxxxx
Fri Sep 8 05:56:44 EDT 2023

Hi list!

My latest article has just been published in Music & Practice. It concerns how to find your own voice as a musician through the process of imitating another musician. The text is somewhat academic, but it is accompanied by an audio-paper, i.e., a sound file. The audio-paper is a verbal and musical outline of how Charlie McCoy found his style of harmonica playing.

If you read the article, no one will be happier than me, however, if you get bored with the text, here's what you do:

• First, click on the link below (that will take you to the journal and the article, there is a link there to the audio-paper on Soundcloud), you’ll need to do this whether you want to read or just listen…

• However, if you want the deluxe version of the audio-paper which includes note examples and a written transcription of the audio, among other things, here's what you do:

• Click on footnote 2, that will take you to the bottom of the page and a link to the audio-paper in Research Catalogue, click on the link.

• This takes you to my page on Research Catalogue. Once there, click on "open exposition". There you can click on the different images to hear the audio-paper, read the transcription, look at note examples and so on.

https://www.musicandpractice.org/in-search-of-my-voice/

If you check it out, let me know what you think!

/ Mikael Backman, Sweden