[Harp-L] Civil War Harmonicas

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Thu Oct 26 18:29:31 EDT 2023

Harmonicas being depicted in instruction books of the 1870s and '80s show single reed, 10-hole and 12-hole harmonicas with coverplates. Rick Epping's mention of John R. Neill's illustrations in the Oz books is puzzling, as Neill was born in 1877, around the time those books were published, and would have been familiar with harmonicas with coverplates.
We know that in 1830, illustrations of harmonicas without coverplates were published in an English tutorial book Some are shown applied to the players' mouths, while others have handles that seem toindicate that they were to be played like panpipes
You can see and read about them here on Pat Missin's website:https://www.patmissin.com/history/aeolina.html

Photos of young men with harmonicas dates 1861-1865 can bee seen on the SPAH website: https://spahstore.org/about/spah-archives/
I think it's safe to say that the harmonicas being played in the US around the time of the civil war were close to what we know today. However, the note layout wasn't identical in the book I have from 1870, the Oliver Ditson Company's Mouth Harmonica Instruction Book. The middle octave was tuned like a modern diatonic, but the top and bottom octaves were not.
By 1886, though, with the publication of Ryan's True Harmonica Instructor, the note layout we know today was shown.
https://archive.org/details/RyansTrueHarmonicaInstructor/page/n17/mode/2up

Winslow Yerxa
Bandcamp music for listening and purchaseYouTube videos
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1119700128
            Blues Harmonica For Dummies, ISBN 978-1119694519
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.comPresident emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica