[Harp-L] Civil War Harmonicas

Richard Sleigh rrsleigh@xxxxx
Fri Oct 6 09:04:27 EDT 2023

Does anyone know what kind of harmonicas were around during the American
Civil War?

I contacted Rick Epping and he replied:

"Regarding Civil War harmonicas, I recall hearing that Hohner wasn’t yet
selling in North America at that time, only having established the company
in 1857. But I really don’t know. You might try contacting Martin Häffner
at the Deutsches Harmonikamuseum.

I remember a drawing in one of the Oz books I read as a kid, of a Munchkin
playing a harmonica, and me wondering why it had no cover plates. The book
would have been written in the first decades of the 20th Century when
harmonicas all had cover plates, but John R. Neill, the illustrator, was
surely remembering how they looked when he was young."

I am in the process of contacting the Deutsches Harmonikamuseum, but in the
mean time, if anyone has information of=n this subject, I am all ears and
eyes...

Thanks!

Richard Sleigh

--
Richard Sleigh
531 Boalsburg Pike

A great collection of Irish Tunes and Session Strategies:

https://www.ultimateharmonica.com/p/the-irish-course

A great old jazz standard plus scales and arpeggios for improvisation

https://www.ultimateharmonica.com/p/sweet-georgia-brown-on-harmonica-and-guitar