[Harp-L] Harmonica Workshop in Shenandoah Valley June 19-21

Bill Newton thenewtdawg@xxxxx
Mon Mar 13 20:11:32 EDT 2023

Greetings fellow harpers. My name is Bill Newton. I'll be teaching a
workshop on diatonic harmonica for intermediate and advancing players June
19 through 21 at a friend's farm outside of Winchester, Virginia.

*What we'll do.* We will be part of a larger workshop, the Millwood Music
Camp, which features instruction on American traditional music on guitar,
mandolin, and fiddle. I will teach four hour-long sessions a day on Monday
and Tuesday, and two sessions Wednesday morning. Each session will look at
one song (blues, melody, simple jam tune), and use it as a vehicle to delve
into technique and a little light music theory related to the diatonic
harmonica. We'll cover first, second, and third position, tips on playing
with other musicians, and a little demonstration of alternate tunings and
chromatic and tremolo. I’ll also be available for informal one-on-one hangs
between the group classes. We will have a ton of fun. And there will be
jams in the evening with the string pickers, which is an important part of
the camp experience for the larger group, and a nice opportunity for us.
There will be a maximum of eight harp players, so there should be plenty of
time to work with each student.

*Logistics. *We'll gather for dinner and orientation Sunday evening (June
18). Cost is $400, which covers meals, harp sessions, and the evening jams.
Instruction will be under a large tent. RV and tent camping is available on
the grounds, or if you prefer to sleep in a bed, there is a Hampton Inn,
and also B&Bs, about 10 miles away in Winchester.

*About the instructor.* I took up the harmonica in 1971, and I've played
harmonica and saxophone in bands onstage and in the studio in the
Raleigh-Durham (NC) area steadily since 1978. I've taught for years,
including a long stint through Duke University continuing education. I love
blues, swing, country, bluegrass, R&B, and rock and roll. Here’s a link to
a recent blog post about me and the harmonica from Tyler Anderson:
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nrCEeyaCM
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nrCEeyaCM>*

Please contact me if you are interested!

Bill Newton

thenewtdawg at xxxxx

(919) 451-1012