[Harp-L] SPAH Convention - Registration

Owen P. Evans opevans@xxxxx
Wed Mar 1 11:12:30 EST 2023

Dear SPAH friends,

I am pleased to announce that registration is now open for the 60th Anniversary SPAH Convention. The SPAH organization was founded and incorporated in the State of Michigan, USA in 1963 by a group of visionary midwestern harmonica enthusiasts based at the Ford Motor Company who were passionate about the instrument. We are so glad they had the vision and energy to do so!

This year’s Diamond Anniversary Convention will be held in St Louis. We expect it to be an amazing and popular event. If you only attend one SPAH Convention, this should be the one! Our hosts, the Gateway Harmonica Club in St. Louis, are an experienced musical group, so you can be assured we will all be made most welcome.

Details are available on the SPAH website, www.SPAH.org <http://www.spah.org/> under the Convention tab. A PDF copy of the registration form is also available for download here <https://spahstore.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Conv-registration-2023-FINAL.pdf>. The Sheraton Westport Chalet hotel in St Louis is ready to accept your reservation here <https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1673037703723&key=GRP&app=resvlink> at the SPAH discount rate of $119 per night! You can also call them at (888) 627-7066, and ask for the “S-P-A-H” rate.

If you didn’t already have enough reason to attend, here is a partial list of 2023 confirmed performers: Peter “Madcat” Ruth’s C.A.R.Ma. Quartet (Grammy Award winner of Brubeck fame), Nic Clarke (Hohner endorsee), Joe Filisko & Eric Noden (famed roots duo), Jason Keene (midi harmonica great), the Harmonica Big Band, Will Galison (jazz harmonica), Dave Moore (A Prairie Home Companion regular), Greg Hommert (the Delta Saints), two harmonica trios, and Tom Stryker (Jazz Chromatic) leading a wonderful group playing The American Song Book. Our perennial favourites are returning, of course, including the Youth Scholars, Gospel Showcase, SPAH Awards Banquet, and Teach-in, as well as wonderful SPAH Troubadours to share their experience, insights & music around the Convention area! We will be announcing more headliners in the coming weeks.

Please remember that separate registration for the Tuesday night Blues Blowoff is available with your Convention registration, and will again be held in the Hotel. We will publish more performers and seminar details as they become available.

Given what we know today, there will be no vaccination requirements to attend but, for your own and others’ safety, we ask that you use the vaccination program to prevent serious illness in large gatherings. Similarly, wearing masks will be your choice, but is encouraged, when possible, in close quarters.

If you would like to play a larger role at the Convention as a seminar presenter or volunteer, please follow this link <https://spahstore.org/convention-events/upcoming-convention/get-involved-at-the-convention/> to let us know. Also, if you are the designated representative from a harmonica or blues club, or of a Convention sponsor or vendor, you can also obtain the form to register for the President’s Breakfast there.

Registration to attend Online will again be available this year, starting in May. Performances from both stages will now be streamed and recorded by our professional A/V team to view live, or later. All seminars will be recorded & posted on YouTube soon after each presentation.

Please register and book your hotel as soon as possible to ensure you get the banquet seating and hotel room you desire. Remember that renewing your membership for 2023 assures you of a discount of $75 off the convention price, and you’ll receive 4 quarterly issues of Harmonica Happenings and other benefits when you renew. You will also be supporting one of the longest-standing American non-profit music organizations!

Lastly, the last few years have been tough for our music vendors & retailers, with COVID, supply chain & financial pressures, as well as staffing issues. We ask for your support of local retailers and online stores. If you’ve been considering a purchase, this is the perfect time to get that shiny new instrument or accessory! Our sponsors, vendors and fellow harmonica enthusiasts need thriving local retail and internet outlets to keep our instrument vibrant and strong. Thank you.

Meet Us in St Louis!

Owen P. Evans - Marketing

Please join us at the 60th SPAH Convention in St Louis, MO, August 15-19, 2023.
“Help our Diamond Anniversary, Sparkle in St. Louis"

opevans at xxxxx