[Harp-L] New Golden Melody

Steve Baker booking@xxxxx
Mon Feb 27 06:02:53 EST 2023

Hi Laurent,

it’s great that companies like Arkia offer this service. However, it’s something which can only be offered by a small independent company with low overheads. Larger companies operate under very different constraints. Industrial wages cost around €80 an hour in real terms, translating into about 3x that for the customer. In order to be able to set up a harmonica to overblow reliably, you need to be a very proficient player. Harmonica production lines are generally not staffed by top players.

So it’s really not a matter of Hohner failing to invest in the future of the harmonica. Overblows are one part of the future of the instrument, but a large majority of players aren’t able to do it and may have little interest in learning. I believe the best course of action for a larger manufacturer is to educate players to maintain their own instruments, and provide spare parts, which Hohner has done for many years. See the extensive series of videos on maintenance on the website:

https://www.hohner.de/en/service/harmonica/clean-maintain

These primarily deal with the chromatic, but all the stuff about offsetting, tuning etc. is just as applicable to the diatonic.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.harmonica-masters.de