[Harp-L] New Golden Melody

Michael Peloquin peloquinharp@xxxxx
Wed Feb 22 10:19:56 EST 2023

Steve,
Please accept my apology for posting unbased, suspected conclusions about the new Golden Melody. When I saw the notification about the unveiling in my email yesterday, it sparked a lot of feelings, mostly joy. The GM was my overwhelmingly my instrument of choice for the first 10 years of my harmonica journey. I loved the ergonomics, the equal temperament tuning and even the nails that held the covers down. I immediately made plans to be there for the launch on Thursday. You are correct that Hohner has upped their game in the last 15 years; thanks to caring, experts like you and Joe Filisko.
The MS series always has been a sore spot for me because it has often seemed to be purely a business decision in the past, not taking the needs of serious players into account.

I probably should refrain from commenting (ask my wife) on out of the box harmonicas anyway, as I have played custom diatonics exclusively for more than 25 years.
—Time for a Joe Spiers shout-out.

—2 ears/1 mouth

Michael Peloquin

________________________________
From: Steve Baker <booking at xxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 2:52 AM
To: Michael Peloquin <peloquinharp at xxxxx>
Cc: Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Golden Melody

Michael,

what exactly do you mean by a “typical Hohner cosmetic makeover“? Like the developments of the MB Deluxe, Crossover, Thunderbird or Rocket for example? And what is the basis for your suspicion that “the reedplates might now be MS series, made in Asia“?

These snide remarks are typical Hohner bashing, malicious speculation without foundation.

The new GM is in my opinion an improvement on the original, as Chad Nordstrom also seems to think. The reed plates are top quality Hohner classic reed plates, there would be little point in putting MS plates on a Golden Melody.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.harmonica-masters.de