[Harp-L] Bullet Mic Woes

bad_hat@xxxxx bad_hat@xxxxx
Fri Dec 15 07:21:21 EST 2023

I've bought a microphone from Dennis Oellig, a Shure Commando.  I don't
ever use it but it came with a custom cord which is what led me to using
my lying around in a box 545.  Many years into the future I am still
using that cord,  By the way you could get that Train Train "authentic"
sound with a 545.  It's just an overdriven sound with not a lot of
compression.  To my ear it's bright.  I played a Shure 520D for a long
while, I haven't played it in decades.  I have a Blues Blaster with an
upgraded volume control I've played it live fewer than a handful of
times.  Way back when I used a Shure SM57 but I dropped it one too may
times, I liked it but having to use a high impedance transformer with it
made it fussy at the amplifier end.

Amy, your post to harp-l led me to an amazing Facebook thread, all
modern blues harmonica content with some really eclectic players.
Happy Xmas (war is Over) played solo on a harmonica, wow!  After a while
it became too modern era bluesy for me but there were some gems in there.

For me playing amplified harmonica is almost like playing a completely
different instrument.  At the same time though good acoustic tone
translates well into good amplified tone.  I went through a phase of
buying microphones and amplifiers and effects.  All it did was fill my
closets up.