[Harp-L] Bullet Mic Woes

Amy Rister amyrister02@xxxxx
Sat Dec 9 15:02:25 EST 2023

I'm looking to buy a bullet mic for my next piece of harmonica gear,
specifically something clear and bright, but gritty sounding and
lightweight with a volume control. The reason why I want to get one is for
a song I'm doing with my band called "Train Train" by Blackfoot, which has
amplified harmonica. I already have an amp (a Fender Champion 20 that I got
many moons ago that still works), but I need a bullet mic to make it sound
and feel more authentic to the original harp's sound. This idea sort of
exploded in my head now that I discovered a video of Terry McMillan playing
"Stormy Monday" with him using a Astatic JT-30 that I posted a few days
ago. I already have the acoustic tone and the playing style down, now I
just need a mic.
Even though I would love to support Dennis Gruenling and his business (the
guy is super nice), I don't have the money for a refurbished vintage JT-30.
I also won't be getting the Bulletini due to some personal beef I had with
the guy who makes it (long story short, he recommended me dirty sounding
mics when I wanted a clean mic for playing with the PA, said I had
"analysis paralysis", and told me to "stop whining" when I had a specific
sound I was going for). I just don't want to support anybody that has been
mean towards me and how I want to play. I'm currently looking at the Hohner
Harp Blaster and the Peavey Cherry Bomb. Both have volume controls (with
the Cherry Bomb also having an on and off switch), both claim to be
lightweight, and are affordable mics with the Harp Blaster being under $150
and the Cherry Bomb being the same price as a standard Shure vocal mic at
$100. I've been looking at some clips of both of the mics in action. The
Harp Blaster has a very crunchy sound and looks like a modern take of the
JT-30, but it could sound very muffled or very bright depending on who's
playing it. Every example I could find of the Cherry Bomb and its standard
version (the Peavey H-5), are very clear sounding on single notes and have
a little bit of crunch to them. However I don't know if they'll be crunchy
enough for the chords and double stops. I don't know which one to get,
which is why I'm asking for a second opinion. The harps I'm playing are
Hohner Golden Melodies (which many players have gear shamed me for liking)
and Suzuki Bluesmasters.
Here is the clip of what I'm talking about with the "Stormy Monday" tone:
[image: MP4 Video file]
Stormy Monday with Astatic JT-30 Mic.mp4
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dmpk_5MiHLYNjTfKVECCRW3DwyEPZdHP/view?usp=drivesdk>

Sincerely,
Amy Rister