[Harp-L] RIP April Stevens dies at 93; Deep Purple fame

philharpn@xxxxx philharpn@xxxxx
Thu Apr 27 16:44:38 EDT 2023

April Stevens Dies at 93;(April 17)  Her ‘Deep Purple’ Became a Surprise Hit

Her unusual version of the standard, which she recorded with her brother, Nino Tempo, reached No. 1 on the Billboard chart in 1963 and won a Grammy.
For those too young to remember 1963, the song had some harmonica riffs/chording. I think the harmonica riffs helped to make it a hit. Nothing fancy, just what was needed.
The song sold a million copies.  Not bad for a 1933 song that had been recorded by Bing Crosby and just about every big band in business at the time. April and Nino also recorded "Whispering" and covered the Bruce Channel "Hey Baby" among other songs.
I haven't found any charts. for their songs yet but I'll keep looking.PhilPS Just listened to a youtube recording of the Deep Purple and it knocks me out just as much as did did in1963 when I was in college.