[Harp-L] Fwd: Harmonica Workshop in Shenandoah Valley June 19-21

Bill Newton thenewtdawg@xxxxx
Sun Apr 2 16:45:53 EDT 2023

Hello. Just a note that there are still slots available in my harmonica
workshop (see details in my original email below). Please let me know if
you are interested or have any questions. Write or call 919-451-1012. Thank
you, and all the best you fellow harpers!

Note: A $200 deposit is due May 1.

    - Bill Newton

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bill Newton <thenewtdawg at xxxxx>
Date: Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 8:11 PM
Subject: Harmonica Workshop in Shenandoah Valley June 19-21
To: harp-l <harp-l at xxxxx>

Greetings fellow harpers. My name is Bill Newton. I'll be teaching a
workshop on diatonic harmonica for intermediate and advancing players June
19 through 21 at a friend's farm outside of Winchester, Virginia.

*What we'll do.* We will be part of a larger workshop, the Millwood Music
Camp, which features instruction on American traditional music on guitar,
mandolin, and fiddle. I will teach four hour-long sessions a day on Monday
and Tuesday, and two sessions Wednesday morning. Each session will look at
one song (blues, melody, simple jam tune), and use it as a vehicle to delve
into technique and a little light music theory related to the diatonic
harmonica. We'll cover first, second, and third position, tips on playing
with other musicians, and a little demonstration of alternate tunings and
chromatic and tremolo. I’ll also be available for informal one-on-one hangs
between the group classes. We will have a ton of fun. And there will be
jams in the evening with the string pickers, which is an important part of
the camp experience for the larger group, and a nice opportunity for us.
There will be a maximum of eight harp players, so there should be plenty of
time to work with each student.

*Logistics. *We'll gather for dinner and orientation Sunday evening (June
18). Cost is $400, which covers meals, harp sessions, and the evening jams.
Instruction will be under a large tent. RV and tent camping is available on
the grounds, or if you prefer to sleep in a bed, there is a Hampton Inn,
and also B&Bs, about 10 miles away in Winchester.

*About the instructor.* I took up the harmonica in 1971, and I've played
harmonica and saxophone in bands onstage and in the studio in the
Raleigh-Durham (NC) area steadily since 1978. I've taught for years,
including a long stint through Duke University continuing education. I love
blues, swing, country, bluegrass, R&B, and rock and roll. Here’s a link to
a recent blog post about me and the harmonica from Tyler Anderson:
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nrCEeyaCM
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nrCEeyaCM>*

Please contact me if you are interested!

Bill Newton

thenewtdawg at xxxxx

(919) 451-1012