[Harp-L] Re: Help find Western swing player

Christopher Harris cpharris@xxxxx
Wed Sep 28 11:00:55 EDT 2022

Hi,

Mike Caldwell did a great version of "Roly Poly
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roly_Poly_(song)>" (first recorded by Bob
Wills and His Texas Playboys in 1946) that was/is on Mike's "Harmonica
Mikes Country Classics" CD (I had it on cassette).

Probably not the player you are thinking of, but I remember calling Mr
Caldwell once a long time ago, probably around 25 years ago (I think he was
living in Tulsa at the time) and he was the nicest guy. Very inspiring to
me at the time.

Searching YouTube for "mike caldwell harmonica" reveals several links,
including a few from past SPAH conventions. There is even his version of
"Sir Duke" on diatonic - very nice: https://youtu.be/j1JAFWMI2I4

Unfortunately, don't find Mike's version of "Roly Poly" on YT, though there is
a great version by Asleep at the Wheel (no harmonica):
https://youtu.be/Ar4H_3HGSVE

Western Swing is a great musical style.

-- Chris.

Message: 1