[Harp-L] Help find Western swing player

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Tue Sep 27 21:05:34 EDT 2022

Thanks Arthur. Now I know. Been wondering what those 100 or so records
were, that I've got stuck between 'country' and 'jazz' in my disc
collection.
Thing is, I reckon I could recognise the sound of a fiddler who had worked
in a WS band. Ditto steel, and probably some other instruments as well.
But a chromatic harp improvising on an old tin-pan alley song, will just
sound like 'jazz' harp. Of course you can stick a chromatic in a WS band,
but
it doesn't make it 'western swing harmonica'. If you play 'San Antonio
Rose' on a chrom, it does not make it 'WS'.
By the way, I played steel in a WS style band for about thirty years. I
also occasionally played a little harp, diatonic and chromatic.
Just so's you know where I'm coming from.
Cheers,
RD