[Harp-L] Will Scarlett's place in the history of overblows

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Sat Feb 12 04:15:26 EST 2022

On 2/12/2022 3:13 AM, Jim Stoye wrote:
> Rick, everyone is entitled to his opinions, but you lost my serious consideration of yours when you included Charlie McCoy and Bob Dylan in the same sentence.
> JS

Considering that Charlie McCoy backed up Bob Dylan on a number of
classic recordings it's perfectly appropriate to mention them in the
same sentence. If Charlie respects Bob as a musician, who am I to argue?
More to your supposed point, if you don't think Bob Dylan can play
harmonica after working with the instrument for sixty years you're
fooling yourself. I've heard him play perfectly competent 2nd position
blues harp. He's also a fairly good fingerpicking guitar player, I
suppose he must have learned a thing or two from Michael Bloomfield,
David Bromberg, Robbie Robertson, and Mark Knopfler.

It's a little like when people dismiss Robert Plant or Jack Bruce as
harmonica players. They were good enough to play harmonica in Led
Zeppelin and Cream.