[Harp-L] Will Scarlett's place in the history of overblows

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Wed Feb 9 07:49:57 EST 2022

I think he was the most important player up til Levy.  He was the first to
play the diatonic harp as a fully chromatic instrument.

Timewise

1929 Blues Birdhead
1967 Toots Theilemans, Mike Turk, Paul Oscher (exact dates unknown by me)
1970 Will Scarlett
1985 Howard Levy

My question is how did any pro harp player who heard the well selling Hot
Tuna albums not lose their minds when they heard Scarlett?  Why did
overblows not become popular until Levy?