[Harp-L] Toots and the first 4-hole overblow

Mikael Bäckman mikael.backman@xxxxx
Mon Feb 7 07:27:26 EST 2022

Hi list!

Old news: The first overblow was played by Blues Birdhead (6 overblow) in 1929, the next example is Toots Thielemans on "Mama Caleba's Blues", 1967 (once again 6 overblow). All this from Pat Missin's excellent website.
News (perhaps): The first overblow on hole 4 is also Toots, on "Midnight Blues", 1970, with the Bert Paige Orchestra. Toots plays an Eb harp in 2nd position.

I'd love to be proven wrong, since that would shed more light on the history of overblows. Anyone out there know of an earlier recording with hole 4 overblow? Or hole 5 for that matter, which I have never heard Toots play.

Besides the two recordings mentioned above, I've also heard Toots record 6 hole overblow on the 1973 "Mr Nashville" with Svend Amundsen. Has anyone heard other examples of Toots overblowing?

Looking forward to your comments on this!

Mikael Bäckman

PhD Student

Luleå University of Technology,

Piteå School of Music