[Harp-L] Posting images, large files etc to harp-l

owner-harp-l@xxxxx owner-harp-l@xxxxx
Sun Oct 31 08:50:30 EDT 2021

Bottom line is you cannot do it.  Harp-l does not host content.  If you
want to sell your Harp King amplifier etc, link to the images hosted
somewhere else.  You can send the e-mails, they'll always get held.  I'll
release them from purgatory and then our server will strip out all of the
mime content and send them to the list.  This is why you see these odd
posts referring to images and files that are not in the e-mails.

Why we don't host images and files and why they are not allowed in our
e-mails, they're large and consume resources. Drive space and server
bandwidth to send the e-mails to name two of the resources both of which
cost money.  Harp-l is now and has always been a plain text e-mail list.
As far as I know nobody has ever transmitted malware, viruses, etc using
plain text.  Sure someone can post a nefarious link but it's there for
everyone to see not concealed in some jpeg or word file.

Harp-l is run by two individuals, the budget is shoe string.  There are no
ads on harp-l.  No banner ads no nothing.  There is no revenue stream. In
a little less than a year harp-l will turn 30.  In early October of 2022
this list will have existed for 3 decades.  That's a very long time in
internet years.  That's before browsers, before Facebook, before Google
and before most ordinary people had access to the world wide web.

harp-l-listowner