[Harp-L] Bending on a Diatonic Harmonica Using a Pitch Pipe to Test Accuracy

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Fri Oct 22 08:37:13 EDT 2021

A visual tool that tells your brain that you are at the correct pitch needs to go through your eyes to verify....then you tell your ear that you are on pitch.
Too many intermediate steps to be considered the most efficient path to ear training, IMO.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Vigouroux <laurent.vigouroux at xxxxx>
To: Jim Peters <jfp2455 at xxxxx>; Rick Dempster <rickdempster33 at xxxxx>
Cc: harp-l at xxxxx <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 8:02 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bending on a Diatonic Harmonica Using a Pitch Pipe to Test Accuracy

I’m always a bit puzzled by this type of advice.
Most people have to train their ears to ear well.
A tool (be it an electronic tuner or another instrument for reference) will be beneficial to most people.

A few month ago, a semi-pro told me I was wrong when showing how to us a tuner for the harmonica (a model which detects the note you’re trying to achieve and plays it for reference). He told me it was useless and we would better use our ears directly;
I listened to his playing … and he was playing quite out of tune.