[Harp-L] HARMONICA MATERIALS AFFECT ON TONE- AN OPINION

Steve Klein stevenlois1@xxxxx
Fri Nov 26 09:56:32 EST 2021

I have been playing harp since 1969. Back then, the Marine band was it.
Since then, I have tried a lot of the ever growing choices. I treated myself
to a Joe Filisko solid brass Special 20 harp many years ago. That inspired
me to try experimenting, assembling harps using different materials and
designs, to see what I liked best.

I tried variations of materials for the combs and cover plates. The comb
material had the biggest impact on the sound. I used combs from wood,
plastic, aluminum, titanium, bamboo, composite, and brass. The brass combs
(purchased from Tom Halchak, Blue moon harmonicas) sounded the best.  They
have a more pleasing tone, sounding fuller and have a louder acoustic
volume. Please note, I am referring to the RECESSED version (for $64.95).
This version is airtight, so you can play with minimal breath and increased
nuance. Assembly is easy, since you drop the reed plates into the perfectly
fitted inset. Gap to your taste. These are true lifetime instruments. I have
been playing them for 8 years and HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.

The material for the cover plates did not improve the tone. I have tried
wood, plastic, silver, brass and chrome. The silver muffled the tone, in an
unpleasant way. The Filisko brass didn't enhance the tone, but at least it
did not have a bad taste. Sadly, that is not the case for the current makers
of brass cover plates, so I would avoid them.

I would recommend, the powder coated cover plates, from Blue Moon
harmonicas, since they seemed to make the tone clearer and are smooth on the
lips (no bad or any taste). Also, they come in different colors, so it makes
it easier to grab the right harp in a dark club.