[Harp-L] Harp-L Digest, Vol 216, Issue 2

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Sat Aug 14 14:58:49 EDT 2021

Subject: [Harp-L] bottle o' blues mic -- is there a hidden flaw?
Peter Beck wrote:

I learned about the Bottle O' Blues microphone from Richard Hunter's
website, and I like the way it sounds when he plays it. I think I want to
buy one.

The thing is, I'm a pretty regular reader of the posts on harp-l, and I
don't recall this mic ever being mentioned. So I'm wondering if there's
something about it -- it's too fragile, or it turns into a pumpkin at
midnight -- that keeps it from being considered along with the usual
suspects.

I'd appreciate any wisdom anyone has to share.
***

The Bottle o' Blues is a good blues mic, albeit with a limited range of
tones that tends to the grittier.  At the price there's not much I'd rather
use.

That's "at the price".  The Silverfish Silver Bullet mic is about $120, and
it's more flexible than the BoB.  The Bulletini without a volume control is
about $190, and it's the best of the lot n terms of the range of material
you can cover with it.

But if you want tough tones at a low price, the BoB will do the job. It
took me about 15 years to break mine, so on a per-year basis the price is
low.  Nothing wrong with it beyond the tonal limitations described above.

As an alternative, the Bone Daddy mics are also low-priced, and some blues
players seem to like 'em. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a look.
It's the only thing I know of that's price-competitive with a BoB, yard
sale mics not included.

Regards, RH

--
Check out Richard Hunter's new 21st Century blues release "Blue Future"
and the 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The Lucky One" at Amazon

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)