[Harp-L] Stevie Wonder FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Tue Sep 22 10:10:06 EDT 2020

It's very difficult to sound like Stevie
There is that young harmonica player favored by Sting these days who sounds like a Stevie clone!

-----Original Message-----
From: Slim Heilpern <slim at xxxxx>
To: Robert Hale <ynfdwas at xxxxx>
Cc: harp-l harp-l <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Sep 22, 2020 9:49 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE

As I mentioned earlier, I'm very familiar with this solo, back in the 80's I performed it nightly with our duo and a few years back I revisited the original recording carefully because I'd been hired to record it note for note on someone's version of the tune so I studied the phrasing very closely. There are of course bends, but they are half step or less, so I have no idea what you're referring to. I'll just add that slowing down recordings can be misleading as artifacts are always introduced.

That is not to say you can't get greater than a half step bend (much easier on the low notes though, and it helps to have a very airtight chrom), I just don't believe that's what's happening here. To my ears, this solo is very straight forward, except for the special character and phrasing Stevie brings to it (and to all  his harmonica solos). It's very difficult to sound like Stevie. That's what makes his harmonica work so special.

- Slim

https://slimandpenny.com