[Harp-L] What do YOU do?

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Wed Nov 11 10:07:24 EST 2020

brian stear wrote:
<The artist said he wanted me to be happy with the end result, so I
presented a version with <a lot less harmonica ( my idea? ). He prefered
his idea, which was for me to play a lick at <almost every space.. To be
fair, he did pay me for my services. After he made his choice, I <let it
go. But when I listen to it, it bothers me.So, my question is...at what
point would YOU <guys just let it go and say, well, that's what they
want???

When the artist is satisfied, the job is done.  I often suggest a
particular sound, style, approach, etc. but when the artist says "That's
what I want", that's what I give them.

I've done plenty of stuff that didn't make it into a final mix.  Sometimes
I really wish it had.  But it's not my job to tell the artist what their
music is supposed to sound like.  It's my job to help them make it sound
the way they want it to sound.

Brian also wrote:
<Disclaimer: The artist is very satisfied, and has me on tap to do
something else in the <future.?

Dear fellow: that is the very definition of a successful session.  Carry on.
--
Check out Richard Hunter's new 21st Century blues release "Blue Future"
and the 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The Lucky One" at Amazon

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)