[Harp-L] Electric Chromatic Harmonicaster

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Thu Mar 12 12:30:21 EDT 2020

While working on the latest version of the Harmonicaster diatonic
electric harmonica (which looks to be a significant improvement over
previous versions), I believe I've stumbled upon a fairly elegant way to
implement inductive pickups in a chromatic harmonica. Using inductive
pickups on a harmonica instead of a microphone means high resistance to
acoustic feedback, a cool "electric" tone, and compatibility with pedals
and effects devices. The thing is, I don't know how many chromatic
players would be interested in an electric instrument. Because
chromatics aren't inexpensive, R&D won't be cheap, the final product
will be more costly than a regular chromatic, and if there isn't a
market, I don't want to waste money on a dead end.

Over the years as I've worked on the Harmonicaster, I've gotten requests
about making a chromatic version but I'm not sure if there's really a
market for one, considering most chromatic players tend to play
traditional music or jazz, not amplified blues or rock.

If you play chromatic, would an amplified, electric version interest you?

Ronnie Schreiber
The Electric Harmonica Company