[Harp-L] Charlie McCoy's first recording session as a harmonica player

JOSEPH LEONE 3n037@xxxxx
Fri Jun 26 15:33:56 EDT 2020

> On 06/26/2020 3:01 PM Arthur Jennings <arturojennings at xxxxx> wrote:
>

> I think people are forgetting that Charlie is a university-trained musician and multi-instrumentalist.

This is true. 20 would have put him in Sophomore. I also play other instruments but am a luddite when it comes to university schooling.

> As to whether he conceived of Am on an F harp as “fifth position” or as simply “relative minor of the cross-harp key,” as guess you’d have to ask him. Either way, he knew what he was doing.

I pick your option #2. I feel he was thinking 'relative minor of the cross harp key'. Mainly because of his mostly cross harp work.

As for knowing what he was doing? Yes. Didn't mean to give the impression otherwise. If that's, in fact, what happened. I used the words: "Many people". Doesn't necessarily include him.
 And as far as asking him, I see a slight dilema. Asking someone something they were thinking when they were 20 as opposed to them now being 79, one might get a different answer than actual. lol.

Jess sayne, and jess an opinion. As I said, I could be dead wrong. Charlie is a hero of mine.

smo-joe