[Harp-L] 8 ohm or 16 ohm jack for cab?

Ralf K. Buschner r_buschner@xxxxx
Thu Jun 25 10:03:32 EDT 2020

Not true. Tube amps are short circuit proof, but crash with a too high load
or open circuit when you give them an input signal. A mismatch of 100 % is
usually accepted, a 16 Ohms load on  8 Ohms output is still ok, but I
wouldn't see it as a durable solution. Lower load impedances can't kill a
tube amp. A 4 Ohm speaker cabinet is fine on a 8 or 16 Ohms amp output.
Nevertheless the sound will change with a mismatch due to the damping
factor beeing different. Another problem is, that the amp will send more
power to the speaker, when the speaker has a lower impedance - if fully
cranked up, the amp could destroy the speaker, because the power is bigger
than nominal then.

See ya,
Ralf, ham radio op DL5MHK and familiar with tube amps since the late 70s...