[Harp-L] 2020 SPAH convention

Jerry Deall jdeall@xxxxx
Wed Feb 26 13:04:15 EST 2020

Registration is now OPEN!
Come to SPAH!

Dear SPAH members, friends, and harmonica enthusiasts,

Many of you have been waiting anxiously for this day to arrive, and here it is. Registration is now open for the 2020 SPAH Convention to be held at the Sheraton Westport Lakeside Chalet in St. Louis, Missouri from August 11-15, 2020. See below for details on how to register.

You can expect to enjoy all of your favorite events, including world class nightly performances, daily seminars, afternoon concerts, the Filisko Teach-in, and an exciting array of vendors demonstrating and selling harmonicas and other related products! The electric Blues Jam will be back again on Wednesday night, and there will be nightly acoustic jams for your favorite music genre! That should leave you a little time to sleep, if you are not playing music in the hallways with your old and new-found friends!

We are seeking another six young harmonica scholars to join us, and you’ll have an opportunity to hear them play, and to support this wonderful scholarship program through the SPAH Rosebush Fund. If you know a deserving young player, please check here for details on the 2020 scholarship. The SPAH Youth Outreach program, also supported by the Rosebush Fund, will continue with programs for local children on Friday and Saturday mornings.

Details on the local tours, Saturday breakfast gatherings, and the like will be made available in May, as usual. For those of you who have not attended or have missed a few years, you can read more about a typical SPAH Convention experience here.

How to register:

To register for the Convention, the simplest way is on the SPAH website. Please register now for the best price, and remember that current members receive a discount on the convention price! We are pleased to say that there has been no change in price from 2019. If you prefer to register by mail, please refer to your new issue of Harmonica Happenings for a registration form, or download the 2020 Convention Registration Form here. Convention Rates increase on July 1.

To book your hotel room visit our Hotel Info page. Rooms at the SPAH rate are limited, so please book early! There are a limited number of rooms with ADA facilities, so please make a request when you book with the hotel.

If you have any questions, please contact us.
—SPAH

Additional Announcement

>From Michael D'Eath, president,
Dear members,

After four and a half years working as your Vice President of SPAH, Mike Runyan is retiring from his position, effective immediately. I am very happy to say that Jerry Deall has agreed to join me as Vice President for the remainder of the three-year term, ending in August 2021.

As you know, Jerry brings a deep love of the instrument and of SPAH to the role, and has been working with SPAH for over five years as Secretary. During his time as Secretary, Jerry has brought improved organization, record-keeping and structure to SPAH, and has taken a leadership role in finding locations for the annual Convention. Please join me in welcoming Jerry to his new role as Vice President.

Mike tells me he and his family are simplifying life, but he will remain involved in SPAH for the foreseeable future. Please join me in thanking Mike for his excellent work on behalf of SPAH, and in wishing him well on his future path. I will miss his professionalism, good humor and unflappable character!

I am very pleased to announce that Jay Hotze has agreed to join the Executive Committee as SPAH Secretary to replace Jerry. Many of you will know Jay from his leadership role at the Gateway Harmonica Club in St Louis, where he is currently President of the club, and where he and his colleagues have hosted us for several recent Conventions, including the upcoming 2020 SPAH! Jay and his wife Pat have 2 children and eight grandchildren, and is an account executive with a local print shop in St Louis following a career in insurance.

Having a strong leadership and volunteer team is critical to SPAH’s success. Please join me in thanking all of these fine folks for their efforts and dedication to SPAH over the years.

See you in St Louis!

Thanks, Jerry Deall
SPAH Vice-President, join us at SPAH 2020 August 11-15, @ the Sheraton Westport Chalet, in St. Louis, MO