[Harp-L] 3D printed chromatic harmonica

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Wed Apr 15 01:05:50 EDT 2020

My experiment with printed mouthpieces was many years ago.  However, it appears that even in a new printer,  the voxel size is still large enough to require post-print polishing and sealing of pores.

I suspect that the smoothing process alters the printed dimension in the approximate magnitude of one voxel on each surface.  Thus percentage-of-thickness is the wrong measure.  If the magnitude and direction of the change is predictable, then it could be compensated in the design numbers like shrinkage of a casting.   If the result is smooth enough and is free of pores, then this process should produce a useable mouthpiece or comb.

Quantity is another consideration.  Printing is suitable for one or a few parts for experiment or replacement.  Wherever the quantity is large enough to justify the cost of a mold, molding is preferred. Some printable parts are not moldable but mouthpieces are.  For making Hands-Free-Chromatic mouthpieces, I chose room-temperature molding of polyurethane plastic in inexpensive silicone-rubber molds.  I machined one mouthpiece in aluminum as a pattern, used that to make several molds, and poured mouthpieces in the dozens.   For hundreds or thousands of parts, metal die casting or thermo-plastic machine molding would have been chosen.  Chris Reynolds preferred to machine mouthpieces for the HFC because he had a mill and extensive CNC experience.

Although new and sexy, I still doubt that printing is the optimum for mouthpiece manufacturing.

Vern