[Harp-L] Emulating Famous Guitar Tones on Harp

bren@xxxxx bren@xxxxx
Fri Apr 3 06:21:58 EDT 2020

Hi Iceman, always good to hear your thoughts. Re. my ‘Harmonica and iPad Video #3:

In this particular case of using the Tonebridge app via a mic plugged into the iPad, I wasn’t so much suggesting you could sound like another instrument (in this case a guitar) as that you could instantly access the ready-made effects patches that famous guitarists have used, and apply that sound to your harp. Your harmonica will still sound like one, but will have the particular concoction of pedals/amp/cabinet sounds applied to it that were used in the guitar solo you have chosen, to flavour the sound.

You can hear on the video that the resulting tones come out similar to how a harp sounds with a mic plugged into a pedalboard and amp. This is just another way of achieving that amped harp tone. It’s easy, fast, convenient and free (if you own an iPad).

On your main point: Personally I’m very happy to have fun sounding like another instrument via Midi apps on my harp! But that’s a different road many, like you, may not want to travel down. Fair enough – as you say, “To each his own”.

Brendan Power

 <http://www.x-reed.com> www.x-reed.com

 <http://www.brendan-power.com/> www.brendan-power.com

 <http://www.youtube.com/brendanpowermusic> www.youtube.com/brendanpowermusic