[Harp-L] diversity

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Sat Nov 30 12:19:28 EST 2019

   Am posting a couple of harmonica-driven blues tunes I've been enjoying
lately.  They're filmed well and feature two elite level players who are
rarely, if ever, mentioned here.  Each clip probably deserves its own post
but played back-to-back they illustrate the considerable diversity and
variety that can be found in the blues genre.  The songs and their
respective harmonica players are as different as night and day.
   First video is a fine example of how we do the blues here in Chicago.
Harpist is the always tough-sounding Matthew Skoller; ably assisted by
former Junior Wells sideman, pianist Johnny Iguana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzMEjZKan3s.
   Second clip is a blues tune specifically composed to move the plot along
in a big budget Hollywood film.  It managed to earn itself an Academy Award
nomination in the best song category that year.  Some might find the video
portion a bit creepy, uncomfortable or claustrophobic.  In that case, just
scroll past it and listen.  For trivia buffs; blink, and you might miss an
early film appearance of Charles Bronson, listed in the credits as "Charles
Buchinsky".  For folks my age, the very first time most of us heard the
term "Alzheimer's disease" used was in connection with the actress here,
film goddess Rita Hayworth.  Ms. Hayworth was ground zero for public
awareness of the disease, much in the same way actor Rock Hudson became the
face of the AIDS crisis.  Her vocal here was dubbed, as usual, by big-band
singer Jo Ann Greer.  Chances are good that you've heard Greer before if
you've ever attended a wedding reception that employed a deejay.  She was
featured vocalist on the 1953 hit, "The Hokey Pokey", a wedding staple.  A
decidedly different kind of vocal here.    Actual harmonica player
off-screen was the legendary Leo Diamond.  I do love the detail of the
actor who mimed the harmonica parts pausing to tap the imaginary spit out
of his chromatic:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2PzgHPrX0.

Mick Zaklan