[Harp-L] Looking for article Winslow posted called, "the taming of the shrill"

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Wed May 29 19:29:00 EDT 2019

The following excerpt appears in the article:
“…….The ten-hole diatonic harmonica comes in several brands and models. Different brands can sound quite different from one another, and materials and quality of construction can also affect the tone. A harmonica with a wooden comb, for example, may sound warmer than one with a plastic comb, and a cheap harmonica may sound thinner (and leak more air) than a pricier model……………”

These statements range from doubtful to false.  The sound varies imperceptibly among harmonica reeds of the same pitch and is largely unaffected by the surrounding structures and materials of the harmonica.  The important differences are all external, including player’s embouchure, hand-cupping, mic, mic enclosure, amp, equalization settings, audio processing, speakers, and venue acoustics.

The shrillness arises from the large number and loudness of high harmonics.  The 2x harmonic is louder than the fundamental. Harmonica tones sound terrible in my digital hearing aids because the relatively low sampling rate operating on the high harmonics generates alias frequencies. I was unable to use a digital harmony foot pedal for the same reason.

He fails to mention electret “peanut” mics that are often used with harmonicas.  e.g AMT HR4. They are high-fidelity mics that depend on other electronics for tone modification.

If you wish to "tame the shrill,"  use the equalizer to roll off frequencies above 1500 hz and add a little reverb. A $30 electret      “ lapel” mic cupped in your hands will work just fine.  A little fiddling around with the eq and reverb should produce a pleasing sound.

Vern