[Harp-L] Chromatic Slide Hole size matters-why?

JOSEPH LEONE 3n037@xxxxx
Sun May 12 01:45:26 EDT 2019

> On May 11, 2019 at 10:47 PM David Pearce via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx> wrote:
>

> I'm testing a straight tuned version of my Backslider harmonica and was easily able to tell the difference between the straight tuned and the original cross tuned version in a blind test.  The straight tuned version with smaller holes has a dampening effect on the resonance of the reeds.  What's the science behind this?
> David Pearce

Bernoulli principle David. The increase in speed of a fluid also decreased the pressure. Which means that the same amount of breath that you put into the smaller holes speeds up the flow BUT also decreases the pressure. Pressure is what moves the reeds. Therefore you are getting less energy to the reeds with the smaller holes.

It has been my experience that a person who is used to playing a straight layout WILL notice the difference. And a person who is used to playing a cross tuned layout will ALSO notice the difference. I started back in the mid 50s and everything back then was straight layout. When they (the ubiquitous 'they') changed to cross tuning, I noticed that my tone was louder but more sharp edged. I don't know why that was. Possibly because I was using the same amount of air but getting more POWEWR to the reeds. So, as it were I always preferred straight layout. Because that's what I was used to. And when I go to cross tuned layout I use less air power.

Others may have a different point of view.

smokey-joe