[Harp-L] New Video - The Only Thing That Makes Harmonica Notes Bend

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Sat Mar 23 17:20:25 EDT 2019

That is an excellent explanation!  Your slide-whistle gismo demonstrates that you are correct. I made a similar gismo using a large syringe. It greatly affects volume and tone on a chromatic where only one reed is vibrating.

You also change mouth volume to determine pitch when you whistle through your lips.

I believe that changing the space in your mouth to resonate at the note you are playing..even when you are not bending…affects the tone produced.  This skill or lack thereof could account for the difference in tone quality among different players.

Then there is vibrato….

Vern