[Harp-L] Perfect Pitch revisited

Aongus Mac Cana amaccana@xxxxx
Sat Mar 9 04:32:31 EST 2019

Thanks for sending me this Michael.

Rick Beato’s video is very interesting and plausible. I guess that at age 82 I don’t need to waste my time any more in trying to acquire perfect pitch. I will persist with my efforts to read music and to learn French from base zero.

It kind of reminds me of Noam Chomsky’s theory that the human brain is “hard wired” for grammar, but that if you don’t learn to speak before the age of 12 you will never acquire language.

I expect that you must get the odd ‘funny look’ these days when you sign your name alright. However I am sure that you have no connection with anyone who would have banished Larry Adler to the UK!

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana

From: Michael Cohen [mailto:michaelmartincohen at xxxxx]
Sent: 06 March 2019 18:20
To: Robert Hale
Cc: Winslow Yerxa; harp-l at xxxxx; amaccana at xxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Perfect Pitch revisited

Hi Robert,

Please watch this video by Rick Beato. It is extremely well explained and contains everything you need to know about absolute (perfect) pitch. It cannot be learned by adults because our "critical period" of neural plasticity has long passed. As a neurologist, I worship at the alter of learning and neural plasticity; but there are limits and this is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=816VLQNdPMM

Michael Cohen

(still a free man, never a "rat", and I'll play whatever position you'd like!)