[Harp-L] Perfect Pitch revisited

Bob Cohen bob@xxxxx
Fri Mar 8 14:25:38 EST 2019

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 11:22 AM, Robert Hale <robert at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Pitch awareness is culturally referenced. How could it be genetic?
> Unless it is claimed that a genetic sensibility gives the individual a
> reliable pitch memory from early childhood, a frame of reference that
> remains consistent and reliable.
>
> Pitch memory seems a better term for discussion.

Perfect pitch seems like identitic memory, something that creates envy and self-doubt from those without. It is convenient in certain contexts, but in no way is it required, or ipso facto desirable, to make music or make money making music, lol. Personally, I’m happy I can hear one note from a scale and instantly sing in key and on pitch. Would it be nice to walk up to the bandstand with my bag of harps without having to look at the guitar player’s fingers or asking “what key,” sure. But I have fun anyway. That’s my two cents.

-Bob