[Harp-L] Hole spacing standard for types of harmonicas?

Robert Hale ynfdwas@xxxxx
Thu Jun 27 01:09:30 EDT 2019

In 10-hole diatonics, I would say the spacing is the same, like studs in a
wall at 16-inch centers. However, the Lee Oskar harps have holes larger
than Hohners, but thinner dividers between them. I like that because it's
more air to the reeds. Easier playing, I guess, and more reed tone volume.

When 10-hole diatonic harmonicas began around 1840, hole spacing was
limited by the wood comb and its tendency to warp when wet. Lee Oskar and
other plastic combs can now offer thinner dividers between holes, and
therefore larger holes.

Maybe that helps your search.

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona