[Harp-L] Introducing the GASKET-VALVE System

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Mon Jun 10 18:40:36 EDT 2019

I have some concerns about GASKET-VALVES for chromatics.

- The mouthpiece assemblies are made for a given height of the comb+plates.  Would not four GVs increase that height?

- If the GV material is stretchy (like Ultrasuede) would not alignment of all 12 or 16 valves be impossible?

- When one valve fails, does the repairman replace the whole (presumably expensive)  gasket/set?

- What holds the outside GVs in place against the plate, glue?  Longer screws with washers and nuts?

- Because they get wet, more than 50% of valve replacements are outside on blow reeds.  Replacing one outside valve seems a lot easier and less costly than replacing the whole gasket set.

If I were a manufacturer, I would consider the following procedure for valves:
- Use a machine to put spots of glue on the plates.
- Place a sheet of valve material against the plate.
- Use a laser machine to cut out the valves.
- Discard the scrap.
That process would be easier to automate than placing individual valves.

What about printing valves on waxed paper and transferring them to the plate like a decal? Aligning the paper to the plate would be no more difficult than aligning the gasket to the plate.

Is there something that I don’t understand?

Vern