[Harp-L] Comb material video

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Thu Jul 25 12:10:47 EDT 2019

David Pearce wrote:
> Here's the video I put together on comb materials.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJ4H4alBgw

I don't hear any difference in the three samples.  I suggest that longer
samples and a variety of techniques (e.g. chords, single notes, runs that
traverse the range of the harp) might reveal some differences.

In general, based on my limited experience to this point (2 Andrew Zajac
custom combs), the value of the comb is not so much about how it changes
the sound, although my Zajac-ified instruments are nice and loud; it's
about the responsiveness of the instrument.  In other words, it's about
enabling the player to squeeze more performance our of him or herself, not
just the harp.

Thanks, RH
--
Check out Richard Hunter's 21st Century rock harmonica masterpiece "The
Lucky One" at https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)