[Harp-L] Who is Good

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Fri Jan 25 00:27:53 EST 2019

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 12:33 AM, Robert Eberwein <reberwein at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'm getting old. Last time I was active on Harp-l, there were so many
> arguments about Popper (among the diatonic faction) we were practically
> forbidden to mention him. I got a kick out of it: People saying he wasn't
> good at all (and yet, so few able to replicate it).

Yet…..Hardly a day goes by that I’m not sitting eating breakfast or lunch at a McDonald’s, Burger King,
 Taco Bell, Denny’s, Perkins, Popeyes, or a plethora of other places where I don’t hear tunes by Popper.
So…..apparently things are working out for him.  :)

> That's why I joked
> about Jager. In the day, only Jerry Portnoy and Howard Levy passed muster.
> And then the chromatic faction would talk among themselves.

The reason chromatic players have to talk amoungst themselves is because they don’t do much in the way
of manufacturing notes out of thin air. I often read/hear chromatic players say that their instrument is harder
to play than a diatonic. Yeah…..maybe…..starting out. But to master a diatonic is much trickier. As you don’t
have an entire scale to begin with.

And not that any one should care but I play both. So I know better.

> Funny, it
> hasn't really changed.

You said it. :)

Leo Pouldville