[Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Wed Jan 23 16:10:38 EST 2019

Popper was big with the Gen X - 80/90's speed metal crowd loved him. He "sequenced" fast more than actually played, IMO.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hellerman, Steven L. <shellerman at xxxxx>
To: harp-l at xxxxx <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Jan 23, 2019 3:21 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Famous Harmonica Players

Not including the Dylan and Mick Jagger types, the name that I hear the most from the "average" person for a harmonica player is John Popper.
Interesting, as he is rarely considered an "influence" for other harp players (would anyone here cite him as such?), and not mentioned on the Harp-l very often. I do enjoy his playing, though I am only familiar w/ a comparatively small sample, and I wouldn't at all consider him an influence on my own playing. (There is that one Blues Traveler hit that I've played to at open mics/jams.) But that's the harmonica name that tends to get thrown around the most  by "average people", it seems.

SLH