[Harp-L] Famous "Harmonica players"

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Wed Jan 23 03:59:19 EST 2019

Ronnie, what you say about McCoy being better known round Nashville as
general session player and multi instrumentalist, is no doubt true.
However, if he was ever known to the general public at all, it would be as
a harmonica player. I have EIGHT albums of his harp instrumentals, all on
the Monument label, hardly an obscure label. Artists with Monument included
Orbison, Tony Joe White, Ray Stevens, Dolly Parton, Willkie Nelson, to name
a few.
I think it would be impossible to name a single harp player, diatonic or
chromatic, with such a catalogue.
Also, I bought these in local record stores in Australia (most Americans
didn't even know where Oz was back then; probably a lot still don't)
So I say again, I do not understand why he seems so ignored.
He was the most visible harp player from the late sixties until the late
seventies. The Japanese still dig him. Who can forget his playing on Nancy
Sinatra and Lee Hazelwoods "Jackson"? That was on high rotation for ages,
and continued to be played for years. Still hear it sometimes.
Anyone care to try and explain further?
RD