[Harp-L] Nail polish and bubbles

Jerry Deall jdeall@xxxxx
Sun Jan 20 13:36:26 EST 2019

Integrity?
I can't be bought, but I can be rented.
Lol

Jerry Deall
SPAH Secretary
SPAH 2019 is August 13-17, @ the Grand Hyatt Tulsa, OK

-----Original Message-----

From: robertpcoble at xxxxx
To: franze52 at xxxxx, bren at xxxxx
Cc: steve at xxxxx, Harp-l at xxxxx, info at xxxxx, harpdog123 at xxxxx
Sent: 2019-01-20 11:34:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Nail polish and bubbles

Frank, I included your post below because apparently it has not made it to the Harp-L Archive yet, and I wanted the context to be there.

I'll second that "Hip hip hooray for Brendan, Vern and all the harp-ler's who are just crazy enough to keep on harpin till the end of time!"

I know Vern personally. I only know Brendan indirectly, through his magnificent work and email. Both of these men are people I trust, based on their proven behavior over time.

As for a "conspiracy" between Vern and Brendan or others:

Sorry, but these guys have the highest integrity in (or out of) the harmonica business. If they didn't, in short order they would no longer have a business, much less a world-wide reputation for high quality. There is an extremely small number of top-shelf harp "mechanics" in the world of harmonica, compared to the number of harmonica "players". (I put "mechanics" and "players" in quotes to emphasize that I do NOT mean this in any derogatory way.) The last time I looked, the fabled Filisko Guild had 4 members; it may have expanded since then. Lower down the totem pole, there are all the rest of us. In my own limited way, I got a chance to experience this firsthand. After the one SPAH that I attended back in 2011, a pretty good harp player gave me the opportunity to repair dozens of his old harmonicas. I cleaned them and retuned them all - at $5 per harp. If I replaced a reed, it cost $10. My explicit "guarantee" to him was that I would redo any work for FREE if he was not totally satisfied. I even replaced one of his more expensive harmonicas with a new one for FREE because I goofed it up while working on it. (I caught my screwup before I returned it to him.) I only have one steady customer now. I've never had any harp returned for a redo. And the answer is "NO" for adding any new customers; I'm retired.

My two cents worth,
Crazy Bob