[Harp-L] Nail polish and bubbles

Tom Halchak info@xxxxx
Sun Jan 20 13:15:58 EST 2019

I'm not even sure who is getting these emails.  I've been included in a
list of 11 people.

While you guys have been busy debating (I can hardly follow all of it) I
have been busy building harps.  I built a harp on Friday morning for a
customer.  I build two kinds of harps.  Diatonic harps that are
specifically set up to be played chromactically via overblows and
overdraws.  These require an extensive amount of expert reed work.  I also
build a more basic type of diatonic harps suitable for traditinal Chicago
Blues, rock, folk, gospel, etc.  The kind of music that typically does not
make use of overblows and overdraws.  There is much less reed work involved
in building these harps.  Even though I don't market them as "overblow"
harps, they all will overblow on the 4, 5 and 6.  It is a function of using
a flat custom comb and good construction which results in an airtight
harp.  They all overblow on 4, 5 and 6.  This particular harp in question
would indeed overblow, but the 6 OB squealed like a little piggy.  This is
a phenomena that overblowers are all too familar with.  I grabbed one of my
newly acquired Nail Art pens and painted the edges of the reeds near the
base, let the polish dry and voila!  The squeal was instantly gone!  A
miracle.  I dunno, maybe I'm just too stupid to undertand why it isn't
supposed to work.  I just do it and there you have it - more real world
expereince.

Tom

--
*Tom Halchak*