[Harp-L] New Tool and Method for Improving Harmonica Reed Response

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Fri Jan 18 16:11:23 EST 2019

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Laurent Vigouroux <laurent.vigouroux at xxxxx> wrote:
>

> …… the fact that a customized diatonic harp respond far better than a stock harp is very easy to demonstrate: have a stock Marine Band and a customized Marine Band, blow in them and voilà. It is that much noticeable. Brendan is totally right on this one. I've done that, and I can blindly switch harps and differentiate them any time. Anybody can. I don't really understand why you refute this…..

I did not question or seek to “refute" the broad claim that an expertly voiced reed can perform perceptibly better than a factory voiced one.  I questioned the much narrower claim that reducing the leakage from the bottom third of the reed clearance changed the total leakage enough to be perceptible.

The comparison of interest is between two otherwise-identical, expertly-voiced reeds, one of which has the nail polish and the other does not.

Vern